Teaching As a Blessed Profession…
Visiting the Pyramids with my University Students, 2015
I have worked in Istanbul, New Orleans and in Cairo as an instructor of Journalism, Rhetoric & Composition and ESL. I care for my students and work to:
- Support students doing civic based citizen journalism in which they connect with locals on the ground and progressive institutions in Cairo.
- Streamline classrooms into a 100% digital learning environment; putting all papers, lecture notes, classroom discussions and class reading online in student e-portfolios.
- Bring “gaming” as an educational tool into the classroom.
Masters Thesis Work with Egyptian and Turkish Students, 2014
- Produce a series of Pod-Casts for students on digital and academic success
- Facilitate the growth of student based small group discussions on classroom presentations and essays
- Attend (sometimes with my students) multiple academic and professional conferences and workshops to improve teaching, understanding and knowledge production in the classroom
- Create prompts for student presentations and essays
- Lead class trips to the Pyramids, the Nile River, Tahrir Square and other sites of journalistic and social import in Cairo
- Organize and lead monthly “academic/art salons” and “newsroom student/reporter meetings” of former and present students to facilitate student growth during and after class